2014-07-23

Anki (cont.)

The uses of Anki are pretty obvious, and I've already touched upon memorizing vocabulary in foreign language classes.

One feature that I forgot to mention about Anki is that you can attach images, audio and video to your cards!  This opens teachers and students up to many possibilities.

When I used to teach Music History, I expected my students to be able to identify pieces of music from listening to excerpts.  I can imagine a student making a deck in Anki by attaching audio files for the pieces of music she is responsible for on the front side, and writing the title and composer on the back side.

In my Music Theory classes, students need to memorize key signatures.  (There are only fifteen of them in Western music.)  One could create the deck the simple way or the elaborate way.  In the simple way, write out the accidentals in the key signature on the front side ("F# C# G# D#") and write the key on the back side (E major or C# minor).  The elaborate way would involve creating images of a staff, clef, and key signature, like the one below, and attach each image to the front of the card.


Every year, my Precalculus students hate the unit on Trigonometric Identities.  I expect them to memorize many (but not all) of them.  For this deck, one could write the name of the identity on the front ("Double Identity (sin)"), and the trig identity on the back ("sin 2x = 2 sin x cos x").

A couple of my students in my Calculus AB class last year actually made flash cards (using split index cards) with derivative and integral formulas. You can type simple math equations in Anki, but the derivative and integral formulas use more complex math symbols.  It is still possible to input the complex math symbols, but the process is, well, complex.  It involves the LaTeX, a typesetting system that I've seen students use in college but not in high school.


I think that using Anki would help students meet the following standards:
ISTE Standards - Students

  • 2a & 2b
  • 3b 
  • 5c
  • 6a & 6b

No comments:

Post a Comment